Nacogdoches Businesses 1888
Nacogdoches, the county site of Nacogdoches, is the best town on the H. E. & W. T. Ry. between Shreveport and Houston. It has a population of from 2500 to 3000 which is constantly increasing. The town exhibits the appearance of general thrift and prosperity. The citizens and business men there are enterprising and public spirited. Business is increasing and new, substantial brick buildings, for business purposes, are being built on every side. New residences are seen in every direction. The following are a few of the business men of Nacogdoches...
DAVIDSON & SUTPHEN
Are dealers in general merchandise, such as dry goods, clothing, hardware, hats, caps, notions and groceries. They have an extensive jobbing business. and also a splendid trade with the farmers of the surrounding country.
J. R. BUCHANAN
Is the proprietor of the Stone Fort Saloon, and keeps on hand a choice selection of wines, brandies, liquors and cigars. Everything is kept in style and orders and the polite attention of the proprietor and his employees makes his place a popular resort.
A. T. CARTER
Stands ready at any time to deliver sewing machines of any make or company whenever called upon. He has a delivery wagon and can deliver the machine at your door with full instructions as to use. He has a branch office at Lufkin.
R. N. PHIPPS
Is a house painter and paper hanger. As he is a thorough workman, he feels confident that he can give entire satisfaction to all who employ him.
INGRAHAM & RATCLIFF.
This firm, composed of Geo. F. Ingraham and W. G. Ratcliff, are attorneys at law, land and collection agents. Any business entrusted to them will receive prompt and careful attention.
SPARKS & BREWER.
This firm of attorneys at law practice in the various courts. The care and attention which they bestow on cases they take charge of insures them a lucrative practice.
JENINGS, LEWIS & MATTHEWS
Are attorneys at law and land and collection agents. They practice in all the courts of this section and take especial pains to discharge their duties to their clients in a satisfactory manner.
R. C. SHINDLER
Manufacturer of baking powders, flavoring extracts, vinegar, cider, Texas hot pickles, celery relish, Lone Star Club sauce, prepared mustard and grocers' sundries, also bottler of soda and mineral waters, champagne cider and dealer in Bottlers' Supplies. He is permanently established and his goods meet with favor wherever used.
W. P. MIMS
Is a general dealer in hardware, stoves, furniture, wagons, gins mills, etc. He keeps a large and varied stock and does an extensive business.
MAYER & SCHMIDT
Are wholesale and retail dealers in general merchandise, carrying a large and varied stock of all kinds of dry goods, groceries, clothing, notions, etc. New York office, 22 Walker St.
BR. J. A. DREWRY.
This gentleman is an expert dentist and does his work in such a satisfactory manner, as to give general satisfaction and permanently establish himself. He is well posted in all the branches of his profession.
W. E. WENSTON
Is the proprietor of the well known Nacogdoches Iron Foundry, and manufacturer of all kinds of farming implements, andirons, firebacks, gratings, etc. He makes a specialty of grave palings.
T. B. LANG
Is an expert and skillful woodworkman and blacksmith. Being a rapid workman, he is able to finish all jobs on short notice. His shop is to be found on Church Sr.; P. O. Box, No. 4.
C. H. TALIAFERRO
Is a fashionable barber and hairdresses. He enjoys the patronage of the people of the town.
By Sept. 15th, 1888, the entire faculty and apparatus of Keachi College will be moved from Keachi, La., to Nacogdoches, Texas. Tuition for twelve weeks, $50; five months, $75; ten months, $123; payable at entrance. Catalogues furnished on application to T. N. Coleman, President.
- History and description of Angelina County, Texas, 1888