Skip to Content
Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Morris County, Texas

Morris County, located in far northeastern Texas, is surrounded by Bowie County to the north, Cass County to the east, Marion County to the southeast, Upshur County to the south, Camp County to the southwest, Titus County to the west, and Red River County to the northwest. Daingerfield, the county seat and largest town, is 50 miles southwest of Texarkana and 125 miles northeast of Dallas.)

Cities, Towns & Communities

Cason | Daingerfield - county seat | Hughes Springs | Lone Star | Naples (Station Belden) | Omaha (Gavett) | Rocky Branch | Snow Hill (partly in Titus County) | Wheatville

History

In 1846 the First Legislature of the state of Texas established Titus County, which included all of the territory in present Morris County. Morris County was demarked from Titus County on March 13, 1875, and probably named for William W. Morris. The county was organized on May 12, 1875, with Daingerfield as the county seat. Periodic unsuccessful attempts have been made to make another town county seat. Changes in the county's economic foundations over the years have led to other changes in the lives of the county's residents. In 1884 the county's four largest towns, Daingerfield, Station Belden (Naples), Gavett (Omaha), and Cason, had a combined estimated population of 1,150, or 22 percent of the county's total 1880 population. By 1980 the county's four largest towns, Daingerfield, Lone Star, Naples, and Omaha had a combined population of 7,934, or 54 percent of the county's total population. In 2000, those four towns held about 50 percent of all the people living in the county. In 1940 fewer than 15 percent of the county's residents twenty-five years of age or older had completed high school. Read Morris County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>

County Histories

A Short History of Morris County, 1975, by Jean Connor.

Location

Daingerfield, TX 33° 1' 54.4548" N, 94° 43' 18.7428" W


book | by Dr. Radut