Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Sunset, Texas

Sunset is on a spur of State Highway 101 at the western end of Farm Road 1749, fifteen miles south of Montague in southern Montague County.

History

A Butterfield Overland Mail station was located two miles from the present townsite. The first settlers came from Denton County in 1870. Sam Smith opened a grocery store in the 1870s and in 1880 applied for a post office under the name Smithville. The name was already taken, however, and postal authorities suggested the name Sunset. Two years later the Fort Worth and Denver Railway built through the community. Residents of nearby Pella left their settlement and moved to Sunset to be near the tracks. On July 26, 1884, residents voted to incorporate, although the corporation did not last long. By 1900 the estimated number of residents had surpassed 600. A canning factory, a weekly newspaper, the Sunset Signal, two churches, a school, a gristmill, cotton gins, and two banks served the community and area farmers. Before 1900 Sunset was in Wise County due to a surveying error; that year a lawsuit awarded land including the site of Sunset to Montague County. Continue reading Sunset History at the Handbook of Texas Online >>

Sunset College, a private college owned by Professor J. J. Bryan and A. L. Alexandercaught fire and burned on October 23, 1890. Read about the fire >>

Location

Sunset, TX 33° 27' 7.3944" N, 97° 46' 0.12" W