Menard County, Texas
Menard County, located in Central Texas, is surrounded by Concho County to the north, McCulloch County to the northeast, Mason County to the east, Kimble County to the south, Sutton County to southwest, Schleicher County to the west and Tom Green County to the northwest. Menard, the county seat, is located about 130 miles northwest of San Antonio.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Callan | Camp San Saba | Fort McKavett | Hext (Wagnerville ) | Menard - county seat | Saline | Sunnyside
Menard County was formed from Bexar County by the state legislature in 1858 and named for Michel Branamour Menard, the founder of Galveston. Menardville and Camp San Saba attracted settlers who came west, but with the withdrawal of troops from Camp San Saba in 1859, the threat of Indians attacks delayed new settlement and caused many established residents to leave. The remaining residents attempted to organize the county government in 1866, but when the attempt failed the legislature placed Menard County under the jurisdiction of Mason County. When Fort McKavett was opened in 1868, people again moved into the area. Menard County residents finally elected their own officials in 1871. For several years after the organization of Menard County, missionary priests and circuit riders provided the only religious services. The Catholic and Episcopal churches were probably the first to be represented in Menard County, but the Baptist Church, established in 1879, seems to have been the first to organize regular meetings. A Presbyterian church was established in 1886, a Methodist church in 1887, a Catholic church in 1899, a Christian church in 1914, and a Lutheran church in 1916. In the early 1980s the county had thirteen churches, with an estimated combined membership of 1,685; Southern Baptist and Catholic were the largest communions. Read Menard County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Menard County History-An Anthology, 1982, by Menard County Historical Society.
Menard Messenger, Historical Edition, June 18, 1936.
Menard News, Historical Edition, November 11, 1971.