McCulloch County, Texas
McCulloch County, located in Central Texas, is surrounded by San Saba County to the east, Mason County to the south, Menard County to the southwest, and Concho County to the west. The Colorado River separates McCulloch County from Coleman County to the north and Brown County to the northeast. Brady, the county seat and largest town, is 120 miles northwest of Austin.
Cities, Towns & Communities
The Sixth Legislature formed McCulloch County from the Bexar District in 1856 and named it in honor of Benjamin McCulloch. In the late 1850s a few families came to the Lost Creek area and to the sites of present Milburn and Camp San Saba, but the population remained too small for permanent organization of the county. In 1860 McCulloch County was attached to San Saba County for judicial purposes. Some officials were elected for McCulloch County in the 1860s, and evidence suggests that the Voca and Lost Creek communities were the center of county affairs during these years, but it was not until 1876 that all of the county offices were filled and a county seat was chosen. Extensive settlement of McCulloch County began in the 1870s; most of the growth was from a dispersement of people already living in Texas and the southern United States rather than from an increase in immigration from other countries. The first census of the county, taken in 1870, listed the population as 173; by 1880 that number had grown to 1,533. Read McCulloch County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
McCulloch County History 1922. Created from Bexar County August 27, 1856. Named for Gen. Ben McCulloch. Located in West Central Texas. Organized in 1876. Area 1,110 square miles. County seat, Brady. Other principal towns, Rochelle, Melvin, Mercury and Lohn. Population of county in 1900, 3,961; population in 1909, 16,505 ; increase, 12,545 ; in 1920, 10,559. General surface rolling, with fertile valleys among the hills. The Colorado River forms the northern boundary of the county. The San Saba River and Brady Creek traverse the territory from west to east. These water courses and the plentiful supply of underground water, which can be tapped at depths of from 50 to 150 feet, render the county one of the best watered in the region. The uplands are timbered with post oak, live oak and cedar. There is considerable mesquite in the valleys. These growths are sufficient to furnish wood for fuel and fence posts. Soils vary from black sticky to dark chocolate loam, and are quite fertile. It is estimated that about half of the area of the county could be profitably devoted to farming. The main field products are cotton, corn and forage crops. Fruits and vegetables are grown on some of the farms for the use of the families occupying them. McCulloch County is a fine stock raising country. Railroads in the county are the St. Louis & San Francisco and Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe. Taxable values of county in 1909, $5,754,804; in 1920, $8,797,455. In 1920, 30,001 cattle and 6,701 horses and mules, and 18,432 sheep were enumerated. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Handbook of McCulloch County History, Vol. 1, 1976; Vol. 2, 1986, compiled by Wayne Spiller.