Matagorda 1858. The towns in [Matagorda] county are Matagorda and Palacios ; the former is a very old place, and had at one time a considerable commerce with foreign countries, and trade with the interior and Mexico ; in fact, during the revolutionary period, it was a frontier town. It is situated on Matagorda Bay, which lies in front and to the south, and the east branch of the Colorado forms the corporate limits on the north west, and disembogues into the bay about one mile below the town. All shipping drawing over seven feet water are obliged to come to anchor eight miles below.
The town contains about 1200 inhabitants, who rank high in the social scale, on the score of morality, hospitality, and superior intellectual endowments ; they are also very fashionable in their attire and habits, and in religion are generally Episcopalians. There are many fine buildings, and several commodious public edifices. Braman's information about Texas, 1858
Matagorda 1935. Matagorda is an older and a larger town than its rival Cox’s Point, at the mouth of the Colorado. It contains five hundred inhabitants and is a place of great business, trading with the interior and New Orleans. Before the existence of the settlement at Cox’s Point, it was the only place of depot of the Colorado river, and of an extensive fertile country which found its natural market at this point. - Texas by Holley, Mary Austin; Austin, Texas, 1935, page 118