Lubbock History 1922. The city of Lubbock has grown from an isolated village in 1900 of seventy-five inhabitants to the railroad center of the South Plains. Reported in 1910 with 1,938 inhabitants, or an increase of more than 2,500%. Between the years 1910 and 1920 it made a gain of 109%, with a present population of 4,051, which is the largest of any city between Amarillo and Sweetwater and the largest city of the South Plains, due to its five railroads, six designated state highways and numerous county highway outlets, giving ready access to foreign and local markets and wholesale centers.
The city owns and operates its own light, water and sewer plants. under the city manager, commission form of government, with a taxable valuation of $4,003,950 at a tax rate of $1.25. It has twenty blocks of brick pavement, covering the retail section of the city, with ornamental street illumination throughout the principal portion. Two modern hospitals care for the emergencies of the Plains section.
The school system of the city is composed of three ward schools. one grammar and high school with a separate negro and Mexican school. The scholastic enrollment of the rural schools of the county total 1,720 pupils and of the city of Slaton 550. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.