Limestone County Courthouses
First Limestone County Courthouse, Springfield. When Limestone County was created April 11, 1846, Springfield-- its only town of any size-- became county seat. First courthouse was built 1848 near Navasota River - Historical Marker Text
Limestone County Courthouse, Springfield. Built in 1856. 2 Story Brick building built on a hill. Burned October 24, 1873. Springfield served as the first county seat, but geographic boundary changes and the burning of the Springfield Courthouse led to the designation of Groesbeck as the county seat in December 1873. - Historical Marker Text.
Limestone County Courthouse, Groesbeck. Used between 1873 and 1878.
Limestone County Courthouse, Groesbeck. Built about 1878. Destroyed by fire in Feb 1891. Records stored in a vault were saved.
Limestone County Courthouse, Groesbeck. Built in 1892. Renovated in 1909. Replaced with the courthouse built in 1924. Building burned in May 1954. At the time the building was being used by the Williams Farm Service Company.
Limestone County Courthouse, Groesbeck. Built in 1924. Three more official courthouses served the county before the early 1920s. The county employed the midwest engineering company of Amarillo to draw up plans for a new structure in 1923. The William Rice Construction Company, also of Amarillo, received a contract for $300,000 to erect this structure. Rice had been the contractor for both the Lipscomb and Lynn County courthouses. A fine example of a classical revival building with beaux arts influences, the 1924 Limestone County Courthouse is a variation on the most common themes of early 20th century courthouses. Then-modern construction methods, such as reinforced concrete structural systems covered in brick and terra cotta, were employed. The elevations -- classical columns flanking the windows, upper floors adorned with balustrades and elaborate cornucopia moldings -- indicate that the edifice is intended to be viewed from all sides. The Limestone County Courthouse functions as the heart of Limestone County and it continues to be used for daily county governmental business. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998. - Historical Marker Text.
Remodelled in 1985 & 1986: Walls were added, moved, and taken out, ceilings were dropped and recessed florescent lighting installed. Elevator and handicap ramp installed. Handicap adaptations made to the basement and second floor restooms Renovations made to the 3rd floor American Legion Room. Other renovations. 1987: Rehabilitation of exterior stone, brick, mortar and wooden windows.- Tile replacement at all entrances. Marble at the Ellis St. entrance was replaced with the original marble. Other renovations were made at the same time.