Yoakum. Located on DeWitt-Lavaca county line on land granted by Mexico in 1835 to settler John May. Cattle gathering area for Chisholm Trail. With coming of San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1887, became transportation center. Named for rail official B. F. Yoakum; incorporated in 1889. Industries: beef, leather, canning plant. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1971. Located at the north Intersection of US 77 A and US 77 A business, Yoakum.