Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Old Moulton, Texas

History

Old Moulton. At this point was center of original town of Moulton (named, according to tradition, by a man from Moulton, Alabama). First postmaster was James Walker (1856). Town gained statewide fame for the Moulton Institute operated 1874-1895 by Melvin H. Allis, M. A., and wife, Thankful ("Aunt Thank"). On the faculty was an outstanding teacher of music, Miss Sallie McLean. In 1887, San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built its line two miles to the east, so town gradually moved there. Old Moulton Cemetery is one mile to the southeast. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1970. Location: from Moulton, take FM 1680 about 2 mile northwest to Old Moulton.

Old Moulton Baptist Church. Organized 1873 by 25 former members of the Live Oak Church located near Nickel, Texas. Two-story structure built 1873-74; cornerstone laid January 31, 1874. Upper story used by Masonic Lodge until 1894; later served as schoolroom; removed about turn of century. Braces placed in structure after 1886 storm. Lower floor used continuously since 1874 as Baptist church. Congregation celebrated 75th anniversary on October 24, 1948. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1970. - Historical Marker Text. Location: from Moulton, take FM 1680 northwest about 2 miles to Old Moulton.

Old Moulton Cemetery. Although local oral tradition holds that there may be older interments, the earliest documented grave in this cemetery is that of Louisa Lattimer (1842-1857). Early settlers Robert H. and Eliza J. McGinty deeded some land for cemetery use. Those interred here include Lavaca County pioneers; former slaves; a large number of children; victims of 19th-century diseases and epidemics; and veterans of the Texas Revolution, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. Of the hundreds of graves in the Old Moulton Cemetery, many remain unmarked. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1991. Location: from Moulton, take FM 1680 1 mile northwest then go south on Old Moulton Cemetery Road 1 mile.

Location

29° 35' 16.836" N, 97° 10' 35.94" W