Hope Baptist Church Originally called Shiloh Baptist Church, this congregation was constituted in 1885 with eight charter members, who first met in the Riggs Schoolhouse. The exact location of the schoolhouse is unknown, except that it was in Lavaca County. The original members were: M. L. and M. Newsom, Daniel and Moneroy Fitch, J. L. and A. A. Moore, Adie Riggs and R. A. Anderson. They held worship services once a month, and baptisms took place in Clark's Creek. Church minutes record the formation of a building committee in 1896. The first worship service in the new sanctuary occurred in December 1896. Over the years, the congregation enlarged their space with additional facilities as they grew. A new building eventually replaced the 1896 structure. In 1920, the members of Shiloh Baptist Church agreed to change their name to Hope Baptist Church to reflect the name of the community in which they worshipped. Seven years later the congregation hosted the annual meeting of the Guadalupe Baptist Association. Throughout its history, Hope Baptist Church has focused on outreach to the community and has been involved in both local and worldwide mission activities. It continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of the founders in its worship and Sunday school programs. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2001. Located on 1228 CR 413 (about 12 mi. SE of Yoakum on SH 111 to CR 413).
United Methodist Church of Hope. German pioneers founded this church before 1845. It met in a log hut on Scarborough's Branch, had 23 members in 1850s, used German language in worship, and was in German missions circuit. Christoph and Christina Hornburg gave a 2-acre site on Clark's Creek in 1855, and the second log meeting house was erected. The present church was built in 1889 on newly-purchased site in hope. By 1890, the membership reached about 100. The Sunday School was organized in 1892, and remains active. Up to 1894 this was the only church in hope community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1976. Location: from Yoakum, take SH 111 south about 10 mile, then go west about 1.5 miles on CR 414 to CR 413A.