Rocky Ford, Texas
The 840-mile Brazos River was both friend and foe to settlers. Here, near the source of Double Mountain Fork, after XIT Ranch was sold to smaller operators about 1912, the river that had attracted settlers was found to obstruct wet-weather travel. In 1926, the settlers built a gyp-rock road across the valley and lined the river bed with rock, to make a passable road. They also built a tabernacle for church, elections, and other gatherings. New roads bypass Rocky Ford, yet the community still thrives. (1976) - Historical Marker Text. Marker located on US 285. From Littlefield, take US 385, about 12 miles north to Rocky Road site.