Olton is the county seat of Lamb County [until 1946 when Littlefield became the county seat.] Its population is about 800. It has a brick school house, with five teachers and one hundred and fifty pupils, a union church edifice and one mercantile house. The other towns in the county are Littlefield on the Texico-Coleman branch of the Santa Fe and Farwell on the Littlefield holdings. The latter town has one bank, one church, five brick business houses, a $20,000 hotel. a two-story brick school house. Its population is 700. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
First Baptist Church of Olton. In 1903, the Rev. J.W. Winn, a missionary with the Staked Plains Missionary Baptist Association, led a meeting at a farmhouse northeast of what became Olton. That day, the first Missionary Baptist Church in Lamb County was organized. The members called the Rev. Richbourg as their first pastor. After meeting in area homes for many years, members joined area residents in 1908 in constructing a union church building to be used by several denominations. In 1923, under the leadership of the Rev. G.I. Britain, the Baptist congregation built its first sanctuary. The membership doubled within a few years and continued to grow and serve its community through education, worship and missionary work. (2004) - Historical Marker Text
Olton's Union Church Bell. When the Soash Land Company founded Olton in 1908, lots were provided for a school, church and bank. Residents of the new town erected a Union church for all denominations about 1909. Soon afterward, they purchased this 950-pound steel bell. Its tones called worshipers from miles around. In 1928, a tornado destroyed the bell tower. The Methodist congregation bought the bell and moved it to a new building at 10th and Avenue E in 1934. In 1958 they sold the property and bell to the Church of the Nazarene. (1978) - Historical Marker Text. Marker moved Jun. 2007 to Sand Crawl Museum. Previously located at church building at 10th and Ave E.