Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Kinney County Courthouses

Courthouses

Kinney County Courthouse 1861 - First Courthouse, the Kartes and Co. building, used until 1879.

Kinney County Courthouse 1879 - Second Courthouse.  Used until 1911. After 1911 the building was used as a post office and Masonic Lodge.  Photo below: Kinney County Courthouse, Bracket (now Bracketville), 1879-1911.

Kinney County Courthouse 1879

Kinney County Courthouse 1910 - Current Courthouse.  Classical Revival Style Building, built in 1910-1911 by Architect L.L. Thurmon & Co. and the Falls City Construction Company.  Two story brick structure with decorative brick band molding, limestone watertable and banding, 2 octagonal corner towers and central dome with functioning clock. Standing seam metal roof. Pressed metal ceiling in original courtroom.  Photo below:  Kinney County Courthouse nearing completion in 1910.

Kinney County Courthouse 1911Kinney County Courthouse. Human inhabitation of Kinney County began thousands of years ago. Spanish expeditions through the area began in 1535 and continued throughout subsequent centuries. An attempt at establishing a Franciscan mission in 1775 failed, as did settlement by Dr. John Charles Beales in 1834. Despite the hardships found in the area, Kinney County was carved out of Bexar County in 1850, two years before the U.S. Army opened Fort Clark as a frontier outpost. That same year, in 1852, local inhabitants established the Brackett settlement, named for Oscar B. Brackett who set up a stage stop, freight office and dry goods store to service the stage line from San Antonio to El Paso. Named for early settler and adventurer Henry Lawrence Kinney, Kinney County did not formally organize for 21 years; officials first met in Brackett's home in 1873. Brackettville, as the town had come to be called, was chosen as the county seat. Subsequent meetings were held in the Kartes and Co. building until 1879, when the county's first courthouse was built. The county used the 1879 building, which later housed a post office and Masonic lodge, until 1911. That year, the county first occupied this courthouse, designed by L.L. Thurmon and Co. of Dallas. Falls City Construction Co. of Louisville, Kentucky, served as General Contractor. The Kinney County Courthouse exhibits Beaux Arts Classicism. Detailing seen on the central bell tower is repeated on the octagonal corner towers and columned entryways. Buff brick is accented with D'Hanis red brick banding and corner quoins. The Seth Thomas clock in the bell tower completes the building, which, after some alterations, still demonstrates the massing, style and design selected by the early county commissioners. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003. - Historical Marker Text.

Location

29° 18' 37.836" N, 100° 25' 4.296" W