Site of Truby School. Early educational efforts in this area date to the 1870s, prior to the organization of Jones County in 1881. The rural community of Truby encompassed School District No. 14 until consolidating with Bitter Creek Schools in 1916 to become District No. 56. There were three earlier locations for Truby schools until this site was selected in 1916 and a new building was constructed. Truby School educated children through grade nine, with students traveling to Anson for high school. After World War II, as the rural population declined, Truby consolidated with Anson schools, But the schoolhouse remained in use as a community center until the close of the 20th century. - Historical Marker Text. - Marker erected 2002. Located 8.66 mi. S of Anson via US 83/277 and FM 707.
Truby Cemetery. Several gravestones at this site attest to its use as a burial ground by nearby settlers before members of the Daughtrey family, early area ranchers, formally deeded these three acres for cemetery use on December 4, 1906. The oldest marked grave is that of infant Madge S. McCargo (1897-1898), granddaughter of pioneer Baptist minister George W. Scarborough and his wife Martha, who settled on this land in 1877. Caring descendants erected a fence in the 1950s and a flagpole in 1998 out of respect for the pioneers, veterans, and citizens laid to rest here; their gravestones remain a chronicle of the heritage of Jones County. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2000. - Historical Marker Text. Location: FM 707 S, W on CR 474, north of rocky hill.