Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Neinda, Texas

History

Neinda Community. Soon after Jones County organized in 1881, ranchers settled west of Skinout Mountain and established a community called Banner. In 1890, a post office named Neinda opened, with John O'Brien as postmaster. A cemetery began the following year. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway bypassed the town in 1902 (creating Hamlin 6 mi. NW), and the post office closed in 1907. At its peak in the 1920s, the community had a school, Methodist and Baptist churches, a cotton gin, a doctor's office, pharmacies, stores and a filling station. By the early 21st century, only the cemetery (1891), Neinda Baptist Church building (1905) and Brown's Cash Store Building (1927) remained in the once viable town. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2007. Located 1 mi. SE on US 83, 5 mi. S on FM 126 to Neinda Cemetery.

Neinda Baptist Church. Organized on July 21, 1889, as the Baptist Church of Christ at Plum Creek, this church began with thirteen charter members. The congregation met in a community building shared by the Methodist Church and the local Masonic Lodge until a Baptist sanctuary was built in 1894. A second building was erected in 1904, and the name was changed to First Baptist Church of Neinda. The Rev. J. S. Hubbard began a twenty-year ministry here in 1916. Throughout its history, this church has been an integral part of the Neinda community. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1990.  Location: from Hamlin, take US 83 SE about 1 mile, then FM 126 about 5 miles S to the Neinda community.

 

Location

32° 47' 41.622" N, 100° 4' 29.8452" W