Jackson County Places:  Morales      

Places

MORALES, TEXAS. Morales (pronounced Mow-rails) is on State Highway 111 in northwestern Jackson County. After the arrival of settlers from the United States, the area was part of the Jonathan Vess grant from the Mexican government. The town, originally called Morales de Lavaca after its position northwest of the Lavaca River, was named after Frank (Seco) Morales, a blacksmith who worked his forge on the site in the 1840s. The community grew during the years of the Republic of Texasand early statehood and by 1860 had a post office, a general store, and a Masonic hall. During Reconstruction, however, Morales experienced a period of extreme lawlessness. It was the site of numerous killings, and travelers opted for routes that avoided the settlement. Residents formed a civic-minded vigilance committee, but it seemed to prefer hanging horse thieves and cattle rustlers to local murderers. Despite the town's bloodthirsty reputation, by 1870 it had added a gin, a telegraph office-the first in Jackson County-and four saloons. A gristmill and a sawmill followed and were joined soon afterward by several churches and a school. Morales was on its way to becoming a thriving municipality, but the railroad bypassed it, and it declined quickly. From 1925 to 1945 the population was fifty, and by 1949 it had fallen to twenty-five, where it remained in 1990.

History from the Handbook of Texas Online

 

1936 Map of Morales from General Highway Map of Jackson County, 1936 View map legend

 

Old Morales Store

Originally built in early 1860s of rough pine. Local gathering place then-- as now. Exterior appearance is same. Hwy. 111, 1 mile S of Morales

-Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967

Old School Building near Morales
Partridge Cemetery, Morales
Map of Morales from mapquest.com
Map of Morales, USGS Survey
 

Postmasters of Morales

MORALES de LAVACA

Kerr, Jas., 12 Dec 1849
Baker, Abraham, 9 Jun 1851
Discontinued 22 Aug 185__?
(Re-established) Willbanks, Thos. G., 29 Jun 1856 or 58
Wingfield, Lewis G., 21 Oct 1859

Cg'd to MORALES, 24 Nov 1860

MORALES

Wingfield, Lewis G., 24 Nov 1860
Wingfield, L. G., 6 Feb 1862 (CSA)
Ross, Chas. S., 17 Jly 1866?
Moore, Chris. C., 27 Mar 1867
Whittington, Cornelius F., 3 Jun 1868
Wingfield, Louis G., 16 Jun 1868
McDeavitt, John, 13 Jan 1871
Moore, C. C., 11 Aug 1873
Gisler, Abraham, 4 May 1874
Pruss, Henry, 5 Jan 1876
Haynes, Benj. F., 5 Oct 1876

Discontinued 13 Nov 1876

(Re-established) Miller, Jas. H., 26 Feb 1877
Beverly, Nathan P., 19 Sep 1877
Miller, Mrs. Sarah K., 24 Sep 1878
Bock, Fred, 14 Jly 1879
Bock, Julia, 21 Aug 1883
Knopp, John J., 24 Aug 1892
Ball, Franklin H., 23 Jly 1909
Boles, Chas. R., 22 Oct 1929
Source:  Postmasters and Post Offices of Jackson County, 1846 - 1930

..

Return to the main page of the Jackson County TXGenWeb site

..

Texas Old Photos 

Texas Biographies

Texas Yearbooks

historictexas.net

familyoldphotos.com

Texas Cemeteries

Calhoun Co. TXGenWeb

Wharton Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Brown Co. TXGenWeb

Ector Co. TXGenWeb

Presidio Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

cottonwoodtexas.com

old-yearbooks.com

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Jackson County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net

.

Copyright 2005-2009 Teri A. Brown,  All rights reserved.