Jackson County Places:  Francitas      


FRANCITAS, TEXAS. Francitas is on Farm Road 616 and the Missouri Pacific line in southeastern Jackson County. A small colony of French families settled in the area during the late 1890s, and soon thereafter railroad employees named the community Francitas. In 1909 representatives of the Valley Fruit Farm and Garden Company promoted the community by a public sale of town lots. In 1910 acreage purchased from Lafayette Ward, a local rancher, was surveyed into additional town lots and opened for settlement. The next year officials granted a post office to the community, and C. O. Hardy served as the first postmaster. By 1914 the community was a stop on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. It had hardware and furniture stores, a bank, a weekly newspaper, and a telephone connection. The reported population of the community peaked at 300 in 1940, when the town also had three businesses. Its population fell to around 100 in the 1950s, grew to 200 by 1962, and then declined by 1988 to thirty, where it remained in 1990.

History from the Handbook of Texas Online


Valley Fruit Farm & Garden Co., Francitas, early 1900s; Click to enlarge
Welcome to Francitas
1936 Map of Francitas from General Highway Map of Jackson County, 1936 View map legend
LaBauve Cemetery, Francitas; View photos
Map of Francitas from mapquest.com
Map of Francitas, USGS survey
Francitas Baptist Church Congregation 1946 photo
Francitas School Students photo
Francitas School 8th Grade 1943-44 photo


of Francitas

Hardy, Chas. O., 26 Jan 1911

Hardy, Ruth, 2 Aug 1927

Source:  Postmasters and Post Offices of Jackson County, 1846 - 1930


Return to the main page of the Jackson County TXGenWeb site


Texas Old Photos 

Texas Biographies

Texas Yearbooks



Texas Cemeteries

Calhoun Co. TXGenWeb

Wharton Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Brown Co. TXGenWeb

Ector Co. TXGenWeb

Presidio Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb



All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Jackson County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net


Copyright 2005-2009 Teri A. Brown,  All rights reserved.