Jackson County, on U.S. Highway 59 in the Coastal Prairies
region southwest of Houston, borders both Lavaca Bay and Carancahua Bay and is
bounded by Calhoun, Victoria, Lavaca, Colorado, Wharton, and Matagorda
counties. Edna, the county's largest town, is the county seat. The
county's center lies at 28°57' north latitude and 96°35' west longitude.
Elevation ranges from sea level to 150 feet. Jackson County, one of the
original counties of Texas, was formed in 1836 from the old Mexican
municipality of Jackson. Both the municipality and the county were named
after President Andrew Jackson and were settled predominantly by American
Read the Jackson County History from the Handbook of Texas
Interests page from the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce
of the the Dewitt Colony of Texas history of the
Dewitt Colony area (including Jackson Co.) and it's inhabitants from
1700 - 1846. The Family History section has contributions about
residents of the colony. General discussion about the colony,
residents, and its role in Texas history.