Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Arden, Texas

Arden is located on FM 853 near County Roads 420 and 430, northeast of Mertzon in Irion County.

History

This ranching community was named for John Arden, a sheep raiser who arrived in 1876. After 1900, small homesteaders moved into the area. Joe Funk gave land for a school and cemetery in 1903. Baptist Church of Christ and Methodist congregations shared the schoolhouse for worship. Camp meetings were held at "the Grove" on Rocky Creek. In 1916 the school moved to a brick building at this site. Following a series of droughts, Arden began to decline. The post office closed in 1942 and the school in 1947. A frame polling station replaced the brick schoolhouse here. - Historical Marker Text, 1979.  Marker located on FM 853, about 14 mi .NE of Mertzon

Location

31° 26' 38.22" N, 100° 45' 57.492" W