Esperanza is near the Rio Grande on Farm Road 192, twenty-one miles southwest of Sierra Blanca in southwestern Hudspeth County. It was founded before 1935, when a post office was established there with Mrs. Bessie Greene McCoy as postmaster. The estimated population of Esperanza doubled from fifty in the late 1930s to 100 in the mid-1940s. It was 100 for two decades and then, by the late 1960s, dropped to seventy-five, where it remained through 2000. In the late 1980s Esperanza had scattered dwellings and a school. The town's name, which means "hope" in Spanish, was the name of a local farm. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.