Hood County History 1922
Hood County History Written in 1922
Hood County. The first settlers went into what is now Hood County before the war, but until about 1870 were on the frontier line of North Texas counties and had to protect home and stock against the incursions of raiding Indians. Hood County's area for about ten years after the first settlers came was included in Johnson County. The legislature on November 2, 1866, erected a separate county. named Hood in honor of General J. B. Hood. In 1875 the south part of the county was detached to form Somervell County. In the act of 1866 it was directed that the county seat, when selected, should be called Granbury. Besides Granbury one of the early centers of settlement was at Thorp Spring. There, in 1873, J. A. Clark & Sons, Addison and Randolph, started the private school which was soon afterwards chartered as Add-Ran College, and in 1895 it was moved to Waco and became the Texas Christian University. After the removal of the college an institute was maintained at Thorp Spring known as Jarvis Institute named, in honor of one of the principal founders of the Texas Christian University. Besides Granbury and Thorp Spring. Acton was a small village in 1870.
Until the '80s stock-raising was the staple industry of the inhabitants. The cattle of the ranches went to the Fort Worth markets, and in 1887 the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railroad was built as far as Granbury. and most of its traffic came from the live stock raised on the range west and south of Hood County. Granbury remained the terminus of that road until 1889. About the same time had been completed the line of the Santa Fe between Cleburne and Weatherford. crossing the extreme northeastern corner of Hood County. In the past twenty-five years practically all the ranch land has been developed as farms and there has been considerable agricultural development. The county is one of the smaller civil areas in the state, having an area of 259,200 acres. The last census reported that of this total about 238,000 acres were occupied in farms. and 91,000 acres classified as "improved land." However, the statistics for that year showed less "improved land" than at the preceding census.
In 1910 there were 1,786 farms in the county, as compared with 1,477 in 1900. The live stock comprised 12.627 cattle ; about 5,414 horses and mules ; 5.410 hogs. In 1909. 35,050 acres were planted in cotton ; 8,423 acres in corn : 2,612 acres in hay and forage crops, and a small acreage in oats and wheat. The county had approximately 58.000 trees in orchard fruit and about 11,000 pecan trees.
In 1870 the population of Hood County, before the separation of Somervell County, was 2,585; in 1880. 6,125 (198 negroes) ; in 1890. 7,614; in 1900, 9,146 (241 negroes) ; in 1910, 10,008; in 1920. 8,759. After the coming of the railway Granbury became a prosperous town, and in 1890 had a population of 1,164 ; in 1900, 1,410, and in 1910, 1,336. Besides the older towns of Thorp Spring and Acton the other centers are Cresson, in the northeast corner of the county, Tolar and Lipan.
The assessed wealth of Hood County in 1870 was $423,194: in 1882. $1.367,956; in 1903, $2.277,494; in 1913, $4,038,337; in 1920. $4,409,197. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.