Cresson was named for John Cresson, captain of a wagon train that camped in the area before the Civil War. Cresson later built several houses and a general store on the site of the future town. Stagecoaches operated as early as 1856 from Jacksboro and Weatherford to Cresson and from Cresson to Cleburne, Waco, Granbury, and Stephenville. Around the town longhorn cattle grazed on land leased from the state. Early settlers included the Stewarts, who came from Kentucky in 1860, the Slocums, who operated the Stage Coach House, the Fidlers, who built the first hotel, and W. W. Wolf, who owned and operated the first cotton gin. In 1887 the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway was built through Cresson and extended to Granbury, the county seat. The railroad bolstered the economy in Cresson by opening the Fort Worth and Granbury markets to the town's agricultural products and livestock. When the Santa Fe Railroad was extended through the county in the same year, it crossed the Fort Worth and Rio Grande at Cresson. A post office was also established in 1887.
Two museums—the Hal S. Smith Machinery Museum and Sturdy's Prairie Box Museum—have functioned in Cresson, but both are now closed. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was 208. Continue reading Cresson History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Sunshine Special's "Ellsmere". One of most elegant private cars in the world when it was built in 1914 for the personal use of Dr. W.S. Webb, president of Wagner Palace Car Company. When New York Central's "20th Century Limited" express broke New York-Chicago rail passenger speed record in 1932, this was that train's rear car. Owned 1920-1961 by T. & P. Railway. Presented in 1962 to Fort Worth Children's Museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1966. Location: Pate Museum of Transportation, from Cresson take US 377 north about 3.5 miles to museum.