San Juan, Texas
The town of San Juan was established in 1910 with the sale of 406 acres of land to the San Juan Townsite Co., by area entrepreneur John Closner, for whom the town was named. Located on the rail line, San Juan quickly developed a business district along Fifth Street. At this site in 1911, the city's first two-story building was erected. It housed the San Juan State Bank until 1918 and served a variety of business, including the district irrigation office, until its partial demolition more than 60 years later. The only remaining section of the structure houses the city library. Historical Marker text, 1984. Marker location: Fifth & standard (SW corner), San Juan.
The San Juan Hotel was completed and opened for business in 1920. Its construction reflected the plans of the town's early business leaders to establish San Juan as a Rio Grande Valley commercial center. Originally constructed with little ornamentation, the mission revival details were added in 1928. These included the red tiled parapet along the roofline and the curvilinear parapet over the entryway. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1985. Marker location: 125 West 5th Street (Business 83), San Juan.
First Pharr-San Juan-Alamo School. The common school district of Pharr and San Juan egan construction of this school in 1915. First used for the 1916-1917 school year, its enrollment was 143, with twelve teachers and a graduating class of nine. The name was changed in 1919 to Pharr-San Juan Independent School District. Although the town of Alamo was also founded that year and contributed students to the school, the Alamo name was not officially added until 1959. In 1961 this became Jefferson Junior High. It was named Memorial Junior High in 1979 in honor of all Pharr-San Juan-Alamo veterans. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Marker. Marker location: old US 83 at Fir Street, Pharr.
San Juan Plantation. Built 1904 by John Closner, 1891-1912 sheriff of Hidalgo County, who helped bring in and finance railroads and establish respect for law. Only reminder today of the 45,000 acre plantation complex that had sugar mill, post office, general store, pumping station, and produced sugar cane, cotton, potatoes, alfalfa and onions. Built the same year Closner's sugar won St. Louis World's Fair medal. Historical marker text, 1964. Marker location: from San Juan, take FM 2557 south to Highway 281, about 5.5 miles and continue south on County Road for .5 miles to Loval Road, then go west about .25 miles.
San Juan Public Library
1010 S Standard Ave
San Juan, TX 78589
Phone: (956) 702-0926 Website