Mercedes City Hall. Constructed in 1928 to house the town's municipal offices and fire station, this building was designed by architect R. Newell waters of Weslaco. The two story Gothic style building, constructed of red brick, features a copper cupola designed to house the fire alarm, cast stone detailing, and a gabled roof. The second floor served as a town meeting room and firemen's dormitory. This building served as the Mercedes City Hall for nearly fifty years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995. Marker location, 323 South Ohio Street, Mercedes.
Mercedes Enterprise. On October 8, 1908, Isadore Moritz published the first issue of the Mercedes Enterprise. He continued the operation until 1914; that same year, Ben E. Brooks and L.T. Hoyt began the Mercedes Tribute. Another paper, the News-Item, started in 1922 and merged with the Tribute seven years later to form the News-Tribune. Paul Netz bought the franchise in 1941 and restored the original name. The newspaper has chronicled major national and international events, as well as community stories. The Enterprise has documented local history through special anniversary editions and has offered printing services, including bilingual publications, to area school districts, businesses and agencies. Historical marker text, 2007. Marker location: 230 S. Texas St., Mercedes.
Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery. The town of Mercedes was platted by the Capisallo Town and Improvement Company in 1907. The Oblate Provincial Council in Austin requested that the company provide a site for a Catholic church, and Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church was dedicated in February 1909. In December of that year, Carmen Nava Garza was the first to be interred on this site in a marked grave. The Capisallo Company gave four acres including this site to the Brownsville Diocese in 1910, and the cemetery was named for the parish church. Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery served those who were not buried on private ranches outside Mercedes. With more than 2,341 marked and 56 unmarked sites, the cemetery continues to serve Mercedes. Historical marker text, 2000. Marker location: Anacuitas St., Mercedes.
Mercedes Memorial Library
434 S Ohio St
Mercedes, TX 78570
Phone: (956) 565-2371