McCook Community. Named for a local storekeeper, this community was settled by descendants of the pioneers who in 1854 founded Panna Maria, Texas, the oldest Polish colony in the United States. Urban Kotzur, his son Leon, and their neighbor Frank Prukop bought land in this area in 1925 and the Kotzur family was the first to move here in 1926. Soon other families arrived to clear the brush land and begin cultivation. The farming village had a post office for several years during the 1930s. A school was started in 1929, and Immaculate Conception Catholic Church was built in 1950. Historical Marker text, 1979. Marker location: Immaculate Conception Church, FM 2058, McCook.
McCook Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online.