Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Elsa History 1937

Elsa History Written in 1937

The Town of Elsa

Elsa, one of the youngest towns in the Rio Grande Valley, is situated between Edinburg and Harlingen in the heart of the irrigated section of Hidalgo County.

Its opening on March 2nd, 1927, was made possible by the Southern Pacific Railroad extend­ing its lines through the valley.

The Elsa Townsite Company, consisting of H. L. Seay, H. B. Seay, and William George, was organ­ized, and activities incident to the building of a town were under way.

The town was planned by Major Wood, city engineer of Dallas. His plan has many distinctive features. The streets radiate like the spokes of a wheel—two diagonal boulevards lined with palms, providing access to business and shipping districts.

Large packing sheds and ample facilities permit handling of the enormous tonnage shipped from Elsa, which boasts the largest shipping vegetable shed in Texas.

The town was named for one of the pioneer settlers, Mrs. William George, whose name is “Elsa”.

Elsa’s main claim to distinction lies in winning the much coveted prize of chief vegetable shipper from the Rio Grande Valley.

One of the chief assets is a modern water system with two large concrete reservoirs. The water has been tested repeatedly and found pure.

An important factor is the substantial type of construction to be found in the business district, all buildings being of brick or stucco. The Spanish type of architecture predominates. The Elsa of the future will be one of the most pic­turesque towns in the valley, its red tiled roofs and tall palms giving to the scene a tinge of the tropics.

The beautiful Engleman Gardens are situated near Elsa and contain 11,000 acres in grape-fruit and orange trees. This Engleman orchard is well worth a special trip to see.

The State of Texas book: one hundred years of progress 1937, page 231

Location

26° 17' 36.24" N, 97° 59' 35.016" W