Edinburg History 1937. Edinburg is the first city in the Rio Grande Valley, both geographically and from the standpoint of trade territory served. Located on the main highway leading into the Valley, it is the first town reached by the traveller on his way to the Valley, thus justifying its claim for first city.
With a trade territory reaching five miles to the South, 15 miles to the East, 15 miles to the West and 40 miles North and Northwest, Edinburg also lays claim to having the largest trade territory of any city in the Valley. Continue Reading Edinburg History Written in 1937 >>
Brushwood Cemetery was established as a municipal burial ground for the town of Chapin (now Edinburg) in 1913, five years after the town's founding. The earliest known burial here was that of Antonia Hernandez de Ramos, who died in 1913. Older graves dating to 1898 were relocated here from El Granjeno Cemetery near the town of Mission. More than 1,000 graves are located here. Tombstones bear Anglo, Spanish, German, and Irish surnames and document the diversity of peoples that helped build Edinburg and other communities in the vicinity. Historical Marker Text. Marker location: Schunior St. (FM 2128), 3 mi. east of US 281, Edinburg.
Dustin Michael Sekula Memorial Library
1906 S Closner Blvd
Edinburg, TX 78539
Phone: (956) 383-6246 Website
Museum of South Texas History
121 E McIntyre
Fax: (956)381-8518 website