Edinburg History 1937
Edinburg History Writen in 1937
The City of Edinburg
Edinburg is the first city in the Rio Grande Valley, both geographically and from the standpoint of trade territory served. Located on the main highway leading into the Valley, it is the first town reached by the traveller on his way to the Valley, thus justifying its claim for first city.
With a trade territory reaching five miles to the South, 15 miles to the East, 15 miles to the West and 40 miles North and Northwest, Edinburg also lays claim to having the largest trade territory of any city in the Valley.
Agriculture, of course, is the main industry of Edinburg’s trade territory and citrus fruits and vegetables are playing a leading part in the agricultural development of this section. The Edinburg citrus district, second largest in the Valley, combined with the districts of Mission and McAllen, constitute over one-half of the citrus fruit plantings in the entire Rio Grande Valley. An estimated 15,000 acres in this district are devoted to winter vegetable crops. These two lines of farming endeavor have combined to make of Edinburg one of the heaviest shipping points in the entire Valley.
The industrial development of Edinburg and community is rapidly keeping step with agricultural development. Eleven citrus packing and shipping concerns are now operating, with about the same number of vegetable shippers during that season of the year. The Rio Grande Valley Canning Company, with a capacity of two carloads a day, began operation during the 1935 tomato season, with equipment to can practically every product grown on Valley soil.
Engelman Gardens Association, packers of grapefruit juice, started operations early in 1935 and shipped about 30 carloads of juice the first year, with substantial increases in capacity anticipated.
Not only are new industries being established each year in Edinburg but those already operating are enjoying good business and growing rapidly. The Golden Jersey Creamery began operation on January 1, 1931. On March 1, 1933, another plant was opened in Raymondville. The first year, total production of butter reached 70,000 pounds. The two plants now exceed a half a million pounds production.
Schobert’s Nut-Meat Factory, established in Edinburg in 1933, marked another step in the industrial development of this section by enlarging its plant and installing additional equipment for the manufacture of peanut butter.
In addition to agricultural and industrial advantages, Edinburg offers the best of educational and cultural advantages as well. Here is the largest consolidated school district in the world, covering 945 square miles and operating 28 buses which transport approximately 1,200 students daily, giving high school and college transportation throughout the district.
Edinburg Junior College has been allowed unconditional rating by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges with commendation for maintenance of high standards. The College has grown in attendance each year. It maintains a faculty of the highest type and training.
Edinburg is served by the Southern Pacific and Missouri Pacific railroad and is located on highways 66 and 9. Paved roads lead in all directions. The city, itself has fourteen miles of paved streets. The County-City Hospital, with a capacity of 100 patients, located in Edinburg, serves the entire county and is one of the finest institutions of its kind in the South.
Among recreational advantages are an excellent country club with fine nine-hole golf course; a beautiful municipal park for picnics and outings. Plenty of hunting may be had to the North and West, where deer, quail and whitewing shooting is always good in season.
The State of Texasbook: one hundred years of progress 1937, page 229-230