Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Houston 1888

Houston. The city of Houston is 118 miles from Lufkin, and is the natural metropolis of Southeast Texas. It is a railroad center of great importance, the lines radiating in many different directions, carrying passengers and freight to all parts of the country. It stands at the head of Buffalo bayou, on which vessels ply to and from the gulf.

WM. D. CLEVELAND & CO.
This firm stands deservedly high for its enterprise and liberal manner of dealing with its patrons. As cotton factors, they stand second to none. Merchants in country towns, or farmers having cotton to ship, will find it to their advantage to deal with them.

JAPHET & CO.
Are wholesale dealers in liquors and cigars. They are agents Schlitz' Milwaukee Bottled Beer. Their business is so conducted as to continually increase the number of their patrons.

H. WADDELL
Located at 71 & 73 Main, 109 & 111 Prairie Sts., is wholesale and retail dealer in furniture and carpets.

F. W. HEITMAN & co.
This was the first regular iron firm established in Texas, commencing business in 1865. They carry a complete stock of everything used by machinists or mechanics, and are very extensive importers of iron, steel, tin plate, anvils &c.

CHAS. CULMORE
Is an Attorney-at-Law. Real Estate and Land agent and Notary public, has land in all parts of the State to sell or exchange; also negotiates loans.

NATIONAL REFORMER
Is the leading Illustrated Sunday paper in Texas. It has been published since 1879. Office 65 Main St.

- History and description of Angelina County, Texas, 1888

Location

29° 45' 36.684" N, 95° 22' 9.804" W