Harmony began in the mid-1800s, when families homesteaded along the edge of a blackjack forest. Around 1859 Grimes Prairie Baptist Church relocated to this area and changed their name to Harmony Baptist Church. Members constructed a church building in 1870. Early settlers included the McGinty, Loftin, Michie, Sloan, and Cullen families. After John Moore McGinty died in 1888, his wife Mary Loretta Brown McGinty and their son donated land for a cemetery. Services were held in the church until the 1930s, and a one-teacher school operated at Harmony from approximately 1915 until the 1940s, when it consolidated with Navasota. In 1979 Harmony Baptist Church and Cemetery received a Texas Historical Marker. The first population figures for Harmony listed twelve residents in 1990. That number remained the same in 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.