Longview History 1937
Longview History Written in 1937
The City of Longview
Unprecedented growth, development and expansion have come to Longview, since January 1, 1931. Population gains have been phenominal. Business and commercial development has shown rapid progress. Churches and schools have added new buildings. Municipal improvements have kept pace with general growth.
Direct wealth from the great East Texas oil field, plus the many thousands of jobs provided for workmen through this new industry, has been the chief factor behind Longview’s unusual record. The city’s strategic position with reference to the oil field, together with its excellent transportation and communication facilities and other advantages, have placed it in a position to realize the full benefit of the oil discovery and development.
The federal census in 1930 gave Longview 5,036 population. Conservative estimates in 1935 place the city’s population in excess of 20,000. Many figures are available to substantiate the truth of this estimate. During the past four years light meters in Longview have increased from 1149 to 4061, gas meters from 987 to 3047, water meters from 851 to 2263, and telephones from 1069 to 3162. Enrollment in the city schools has increased nearly 300 per cent.
Longview provides recreational facilities fitting a city of 20,000 population. An $18,000.00 swimming pool; a fine 25 acre municipal park and playground; two country clubs with splendid golf courses; member in the West Dixie Baseball league, a $25,000 football stadium and a large wrestling arena. Longview has many miles of paved streets. Health conditions are fine. A standard county health unit with six full time trained officials functions here. Both the city and county are well governed.
Longview’s outstanding achievement during the past four years has been its record of building and construction activity. Building permits have totaled $5,213,650. Longview was third in total new building among all Texas cities in 1932, fourth in 1933 and third again in 1934.
Some of the larger building projects include the new county Court House which cost $300,000, a new $225,000 Senior High School, a $750,000 Municipal improvement program including nearly 100 blocks of new paving and extensive water and sewer expansion, and a $1,150,000 county lateral road improvement program.
Commercial growth and expansion in Longview has been noteworthy. Nearly 400 new business establishments have located here since 1931. Retail sales in 1934 showed an increase of 35 per cent over 1933. Longview’s daily newspapers registered a similar gain in local advertising lineage. The Longview Daily News and Journal published its Fourth Anniversary East Texas Oil edition of 308 pages on Sunday, February 24, 1935. It was the largest single edition of any newspaper ever published in Texas.
Longview churches have shown unusual growth during the past four years. More than $100,000 has been spent for new buildings and improvements to old buildings. Two new church buildings costing $87,500 are now under construction.
The Longview Chamber of Commerce has increased its activities many-fold. Its membership has shown a gain of approximately 300 per cent.
The organization has been active in advertising the city, in fostering expansion of business interests, and in encouraging the building of more homes in the city.
Today the city of Longview faces a new era of growth and development.
With the East Texas oil field pouring in millions of dollars annually in oil royalties and in payrolls, and with many other permanent industries located here to help support the rich agricultural region about Longview, the city looks forward to at least a quarter of a century of expansion, growth and development.
The State of Texas Book: one hundred years of progress 1937, page 225