Post History 1922
Post History Written in 1922
Post. Post, the county seat of Garza County, is located three miles from the cap rock of the Plains, on the main line of the Santa Fe Railway. It has a population of 1,700. The assessed valuation of property in 1920 is $1,040,000. A cotton mill for making sheets exclusively, giving employment to 300 and utilizing 5,000 bales of cotton yearly, is located here. The output has a worldwide territory, being sold all over the United States and in foreign countries.
The town has one of the best water works systems in Texas. The water is pumped from wells in the plains, mostly by electricity from the powerful engines from town, into immense reservoirs made of concrete and absolutely mosquito-proof. The water has a 300-foot fall, which gives it a 100-pound pressure. The town is regularly laid out, wide streets, with sixty-five miles of shade trees. It has four churches, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian. It has two school buildings, costing $50,000, fully equipped. Domestic science and manual training are taught, and it has an enrollment of 600 pupils. The trustees are among the best business men of the town. Educating the children is foremost in the hearts and minds of its citizenship. Post has two strong banks, the First National and the First State, which would be a credit to any town of 10,000 inhabitants. It has a Rock Sanitarium, equipped with the best facilities money could buy. It has electric lights, flashlight, telephone system, brick plant, has a cold storage plant, sewers for the business part of town and the south side. Some of the stores, offices and banks are steam-heated. The merchants are up to date and carry good stocks, and garages are here on every main street to care for tourists, as this is a favorite route on account of the fine roads. Post has fine golf links. A beautiful lake with shade trees nearly all around it, neatly built bathhouses and boats, etc., are there. It is the only resort of the kind in this section of the country and consequently in season visitors are here from adjoining counties. Tourists know it, from California to the Gulf.
The ladies must not be overlooked, for they are a determined set in the little town. Whenever they start something they put it over, if not through one club another will. They have a hustling Mothers' Club, a welfare club, a culture club, a supervised playground and numerous other clubs, all working to the one aim of the upbuilding of the town.
Post has Fair Grounds, with building, race tracks, etc., where a county fair is held annually.
Post has a volunteer fire company, motor trucks and other equipment, and with the splendid water system, insurance is cut to the minimum.
The town was laid out, promoted and named for C. W. Post, whose name, connected with "Postum" and Grape Nuts," is a household word. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.