Foard County, Texas
Cities, Towns & Communities
Formed from Hardeman, King, Cottle, and Knox counties; created March 3, 1891, organized April 27, 1891. Named in honor of Robert L. Foard 1831-1898. A Confederate officer prominent lawyer of Columbus, Texas. Crowell, the county seat traversed by a railroad inn 1908. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1936.
Foard County 1922. Foard County was created from adjacent counties March 3. 1891, and organized April 27, 1891. At that time the town of Crowell was started and was given the honor of the county seat. No towns were developed of any importance until recent years, and until the completion of the Orient Railroad through the center of the county in 1909. the nearest shipping points were at Quanah and Vernon. to which towns the farm crops and the cattle from the ranches were sent. Continue Reading Foard County History Written in 1922 >>
Robert L. Foard. Star and Wreath County named honor Texas Confederate officer (1831 - 1898) Came to Texas from Maryland, 1853. Prominent pioneer lawyer and citizen. Lt. Columbus Grays Texas Militia Co. 1861. Confederate major 13th Texas Infantry Regiment, which successfully guarded portion Texas coast against raiding parties from Union blockading vessels. 13th stationed 7 weeks, 1863, Brashear City, LA., as part campaign to prevent split of South by loss of Mississippi River. Returned to coast duty until war's end. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy. Erected by the State of Texas, 1963. - Historical Marker Text.
First Officials of Foard County. Committee appointed by the Legislature to organize county; met in (Old) Margaret April 4, 1891. County divided into four precincts. Election held April 27. Following officials elected: Judge, J. C. Roberts Attorney, G. T. Brown Clerk, G. W. Thompson Sheriff, S. J. Moore Tax Assessor, J. A. Wright Treasurer, J. W. Magee Surveyor, Harry Sappington Animal & Hide Inspector, T. H. Benson Commissioners: John Wesley John B. Stegar J. W. Moore W. T. McDaniel - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1967.
Pease River Battlefield. In 1860, at the Battle of Pease River, Indian captive Cynthia Ann Parker and her daughter, Prairie Flower, were rescued by Texas Rangers under Captain L. S. Ross (later Governor of Texas). Cynthia Ann, most celebrated of all Comanche captives, had been taken at age 9 in a raid on Fort Parker, May 19, 1836. Traders who saw her later said she had taken the name "Naduah" and wished to remain among her adopted people. She married Chief Peta Nocona, by whom she had 2 sons, Pecos and Quanah Parker. Although she was returned to her uncle's family, she was never completely happy and tried to escape several times. She died 1864. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Location: In city park, Highway 6-Crowell (site located 8 miles northeast)
Pease River Battlefield. Four Miles North to the Pease River Battlefield, After Being Captured by Comanche Indians on May 19, 1836, in What is Now Limestone County Cynthia Ann Parker Was Recaptured Hereby Texas Rangers Under Captain L.S. Ross on December 18, 1860. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1936. Location: 5 mi. E. of Crowell, US Hwy 70.
Foard County has had two courthouses. The first one was built right after the county was organized in 1891 and served the residents until the new courthouse was built in 1910. The 1910 courthouse was remodelled in the 1940s after it was damaged by a tornado. Foard County Courthouses >>