Crowell, Texas, organized in 1891, was named for the owner of the townsite, George T. Crowell. The following year, Foard County was organized and Crowell was voted in as the county seat. The town quickly grew and became the largest town in the county and a trade center for the area. Business opened and moved into Crowell, including a hotel, cotton gin, gristmill and a newspaper - The Foard County News.
The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway came through Crowell in 1908. Crowell incorporated and a boom soon followed. The population was 1,500 by 1925. In 1927, oil was discovered. Crowell suffered heavy tornado damage in April 1942. Ten people were killed, 125 hurt, and 1,500 left homeless; 90 percent of the business buildings and homes were destroyed. The town was rebuilt. By 1950, the population of Crowell was 1,922.
First Christian Church. (Organized 1906) An early church in Crowell. First officials: Pastor, J. E. Chase; Elders, J. W. Cope, S. J. Fenton; Deacons, E. P. Bomar, F. H. Crews; Clerk, Ben Henderson; Treasurer, J. H. Self. Site, gift of C. A. Andrews, was chosen by Mrs. Ida Cheek, Robert Cole, Jim Meason. Original church building had 61 years continuous use. - Historical Marker text. Marker erected 1969. Located at 2400 North First Street, Crowell.
Crowell History from the Handbook of Texas Online