Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Lockney, Texas

Lockney, at the junction of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe railroads, U.S. Highway 70, and Farm roads 97 and 378, in west central Floyd County.

History

Lockney was founded in 1889 by settlers from Della Plain seeking a better water source. A post office was granted in 1890. The community was named for J. H. Lockney, the father of settler J. F. Lockney, by H. C. Knight, the district surveyor. In 1894 J. A. Baker donated land for a new townsite and school one mile to the west. Lockney, which had existed as a store and post office, began to grow. Ranching and grain farming at first formed the economic backbone. A school,Lockney Christian College, founded in 1894 by members of the Church of Christ, encouraged settlers, although the school closed around 1918. The town incorporated in 1908. Lockney thrived as a center for trade and education in its early years. The Practical Business School was started by A. F. Reagan in 1906. A newspaper, variously named, was published from before 1900 until 1972. By 1911 Judge William McGehee had pioneered an irrigation well, and by the end of the 1940s irrigation made cotton the principal crop of this area. Lockney also became a grain-shipping center and retail point with eighty-five businesses and a population of 1,231 by 1940. By 1950 the population had increased to 1,698. A large elementary school was built in 1964, and other new buildings included a hospital, churches, a city hall, and a fire station. Read Lockney History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>

Resources

Lockney Branch Library
118 N. Main
Lockney, TX 79241
(806) 652-3561‎

Lockney Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 477
Lockney, TX 79241
(806) 652-2363

Floyd County Historical Museum
Mary Lou Bollman Genealogy Center
105 E. Missouri St.,
Floydada, TX 79241
(806) 983-2415

Location

Lockney, TX 34° 7' 28.2648" N, 101° 26' 29.5872" W