Hobbs Cemetery. Settlers began moving into this area of Fisher County in the early 1880s. The community that developed became known as Hobbs when Roby postmaster Vachel Hobbs Anderson suggested his middle name for the new post office here. In the early 1900s, area residents Robert and Ann Hayter donated land at this site for the cemetery to serve the growing settlement. The first burial was for Indiana native Thomas J. Bone (1833-1906). Hobbs later developed north near a new school site, but Hobbs Cemetery remains as a reminder of the community's early history. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. Incise on back of marker: Marker Provided By: Fannie W. Albert, Connie H. Tutt, Lota W. Kennedy. - Historical Marker Text. Marker located 11.7 miles west on US 180, turn north on FM 3205, about 3 miles to cemetery.
Hobbs Independent School District. The first school in what would become the Hobbs community was known as Buffalo and taught in a tent on Buffalo Creek from 1887 to 1888. The Rev. Robert Martin erected a church and schoolhouse on the site with funds from his home church in Louisiana. By 1896 the school was named for Vachel Hobbs Anderson, postmaster at Roby, and had changed locations several times. J. W. Hale became county school superintendent in 1922. His efforts contributed to the voters' decision to consolidate the Hobbs, Dallas, Grady and Baird common school districts in 1924. The new district, known as Hobbs Consolidated Common School District No. 18, united the four districts. The new eleven-grade Hobbs school facility opened in 1925. With additions and annexations in ensuing years, Hobbs grew from 85 square miles to 240, combining many schools: Guinn, Sardis, Lone Star, Buffalo, Claytonville, Camp Springs, County Line, Capitola, Sam Bone, Busby, Barronview, Plainview, Cottonwood, Bush, Lone Valley, Midway, Gannoway, Rico, Busby, Rough Creek, Chicken Foot, Linn, Pyron and others. In the 1930s the Works Progress Administration added the primary, home economics and vocational agricultural buildings to the campus, and grade twelve was added to the course of studies. After World War II the rural population decreased as people migrated to cities. High school enrollment was 380 in the 1940s. A new building was constructed in 1956, a cafeteria in 1969 and a new vocational agricultural building in 1976. The high school was closed in 1980 and, when elementary school enrollment dropped to 13 in the fall of 1989, Hobbs Independent School District was dissolved and annexed to the Roby, Rotan and Snyder districts. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2000. Located 11 mi. W of Rotan on FM 1614 at its intersection with FM 611.