Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Zapp, Texas

History

Zapp History 1902. Zapp is situated about seven miles north of Fayetteville in the extreme eastern portion of the county on Willow Spring. A more pleasing landscape can hardly be found in the state. The elegant white painted farmhouses, the substantial large barns, in the midst of verdant fields, speak of the industry of its people. The people are well-to-do, independent and contented. They enjoy life, being well fixed against any contingencies. The population is German and Bohemian. The place was named after C. T. Zapp, who was the first postmaster in that place (1881.) Zapp is also called Willow Springs, after the school by that name, which for the last few years has been under the able direction of a thorough and conscientious teacher, Prof. Wm. Haverlab, C. F. Garlin, a very accommodating gentleman, is the pres­ent postmaster and merchant of that place. His reliability and congenial ways deserve the custom of the neighborhood. Ad. Weige is a young blacksmith at that place, a skillful workman and a good honest man L. C. Muenzler owns a very fine gin, does very good work in his line and satisfies his customers Zapp is a very old settlement. It was settled early in the thirties and as early as 1839 it is spoken of in the minutes of the commissioners' court as the German settlement. Old settlers are F. Garlin. Ad. Schulz, Wm. Krebs, Gerh. Peinsohn, Win. Weidemann, F. Scharnberg, Mrs. Johanna Heinsohn (age 96 years), Julius Krebs. Among the old settlers who have passed from life and gone to whence there is no return Carl Albrecht, A. Muenzler, F. Pagel, Christian Henniger may be named.  - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902

Location

29° 53' 22.704" N, 96° 50' 6.36" W