Warda History 1902. Warda lies about twelve miles north of La Grange on the La Grange-Giddings road, not far from the banks of Rabb's Creek. The bottom lands of this creek are very fertile. The balance of the land is postoak and pinewood. In the early days there was a sawmill on the banks of Rabb's Creek that furnished lumber to a great scope of surrounding country. These lands were settled very early, about the year 1830. In the early thirties a Mr. Earthman of that place was killed near the present Nechanitz by marauding Indians. The population is mostly Wendish, a Slavic tribe that has become almost completely Germanized under the rule of the German government. They are a very religious people. A fine German Lutheran Church under the pastorate of Rev. Buchschacher is the center of religious life of that neighborhood. Said congregation supports also entirely . by private means a school under the management of Prof. G. M. Schleyer, where the children are taught to walk in ways pleasing to God.
The public school of that place is under the able management of a thorough and conscientious teacher. Prof. J. H. Merz. There are few teachers in the county who are his equal in scholarship and there is none who takes a greater interest and devotes more care to the progress of his pupils than he. He is a born educator, a gentleman of unassuming manners, of broad views and of high moral character.
Warda is situated twelve miles from La Grange and ten miles from Giddings. The whole surrounding country is tributary to its business. Falke Bros. are the leading merchants of Warda. They are the proprietors of a large department store hardly equaled anywhere in the county. Their store contains anything you may call for from a six-penny nail to a mowing machine, from a spool of thread to an elegant suit, from a shoe-peg to a fashionable set of furniture. They are wide-awake, liberal and sell cheap, with very small profits. They take a friend!y interest in their customers and are, on that account, exceedingly popular. In fact, the writer would like to be shown better merchants than they are. He has not found them. They have money, they have strong financial backing, they have success and they deserve it. Sometimes merchants are called in newspapers in a kind of flattery, merchant princes. If any merchants in Fayette county deserve this title, they are the men. The writer has found so seldom wealth coupled with liberality and the feeling of obligation which wealth and high station impose on a man; here they are. Thus, the writer considers that the title of merchant princes of Fayette county is one to which they have a just and right claim. They are worthy of their wealth.
Gus. Matejowski is the other merchant of Warda, jovial, jolly and popular. He does a large business, and to be a competitor with the Falkes and to do good business in competition with them is a credit to any man.
G. Rothmann is a fine blacksmith, a very skillful workman who would be a credit to any city.
C. Froehlich & Son are first-class ginners. Their gin is. as well equipped as any in the county. They pay close attention to business and turn out a fine staple. They do the best work in that whole section of the country.
Last, but not least, may be mentioned Dr. Paul Beckmann, one of the finest physicians and surgeons in the county. He is a graduate of Tulane University, the finest medical school in the South, excels in his profession and has effected wonderful cures.
Warda has daily mail and telephone connection. The oldest settlers now living are the Falke family, Carl Teinert, the Herbig family, J. G. Neitsch, Mr. M. Moerbe John Lorenz M. Domasch, Krakoski Ernst Kunze. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902