Waldeck History 1902. Waldeck lies about fourteen miles north of La Grange on the La Grange-Ledbetter road. The country is black land and post-oak. The population is German. It is a voting precinct of the county and a post office. It consists of a store, a saloon, a gin, a blacksmith shop and a Lutheran church, of which Rev. Chas. Baer is pastor. Old settlers: Fritz Weber, Friedrich Schuhmann, A. F. Dornwell, ----- Meiners, Traugott Sommer; Gerh. Albers, (deceased), Carl Schuhmann, (deceased), Dietrich Ahlrich. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902
Waldeck Evangelical Lutheran Church. Before 1900, the German families of Waldeck, once called Long Prairie, were served by German-speaking Methodist missionaries; by 1885, a congregation had organized. In December 1899, the Rev. August Wenzel led local Lutherans in starting a new congregation, which organized as Waldeck Evangelical Lutheran Zion. Pastor Carl Baer became the church's first salaried minister. The congregation met in the Waldeck schoolhouse until 1926, when it bought the Methodist Episcopal sanctuary from the declining neighbor congregation at this site. By that time, the Lutheran church offered Sunday school classes. Within a few decades, it also celebrated with church picnics, programs and community services, all of which continue today. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2003. Located at FM 2145 and FM 1291.
Waldeck Cemetery. This cemetery has served the Waldeck community of German immigrants for over 100 years. Originally known as Long Prairie, the community met in 1866 to erect a school/church building and to establish a cemetery. Louis Tittel deeded six acres of land which became the cemetery. There were existing graves in the north corner, though the earliest marked grave is dated 1871. Burials include many German immigrants, and veterans of wars from the Civil War to the Vietnam War. This cemetery contains more than 530 graves, and continues to serve the Waldeck community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994. Location: from Fayetteville, take FM 1291 about 14 mile NW, then take Waldeck Cemetery Rd. about 0.8 miles east.