Schulenburg History 1902
Schulenburg History Written in 1902
No city in Texas has a greater reputation for the congeniality of its people than Schulenburg. The free and easy and yet refined manners of its inhabitants never fall to make the stranger feel at home. The splendor and the tasty arrangements of its festivities have made for Schulen burg the name of the festive city of South Texas.
Schulenburg is situated in the southern part of Fayette County on the Southern Pacific Railroad. It is at a distance of eighteen miles from the county seat. It lies in the rich black land Navidad prairie, one of the richest agricultural sections in the state. The elegant farm residences, the beautiful gardens in front of them, the rolling prairie laid out into fertile corn and cotton fields, speak of the industry and energy of its people and leave on the traveler a pleasing impression. The section is traversed by the Navidad and its tributary the Mixen Creek.
One mile southeast of Schulenburg lie the grounds of the Schuienburg Live Stock and Fair Association. The semi-annual races held there attract the sporting element of the whole state. Dr. I. E. Clark, Mr. Wm. Cornelson and Mr. H. Graf may be mentioned as the principal promoters of the races. One mile northwest of Schulenburg is the Eilers Park. The same is not yet finished, but gives promise to become one of the most attractive spots in Texas. A sixteen feet high dam, forty feet wide at the foot and thirty feet wide at the top has been built across a creek. On the lake which this dam will hold, two boats will invite the visitor to take a row along its beautiful banks covered with verdure and interspersed with liveoak groves. This park, the writer predicts, will become a very popular resort for the Schulenburg people and their guests.
Not less attractive than its surroundings is the city itself. A stranger walking through its streets will be impressed by the solid and substantial business houses and the elegant residences; In the fall of the year, the business streets, viz., Main street —which presents quite a metropolitan appearance—and Lyons and Upton Avenues are crowded with wagons, buggies and other vehicles: and give a good idea of the extent of Schulenburg’s business. Of the more noticeable buildings may be mentioned the Sengelmann Building, the most elegant saloon in the county; the Perlitz Building; the R. A. Wolters Building; the Russek Bank Building; the Schaefer Building, and the Wolters Business Buildings. The Southern Pacific owns a fine garden, nicely laid out, in front of the depot.
Schulenburg is named after Louis Schulenburg who owned a four hundred and forty acre farm south of the railroad track which he sold to W. Pierce. Schulenburg stands on the land owned by him, on sixty acres of Mr. Chris. Baumgarten’s land, on one hundred acres of Frank and Rosine Stanzel’s land, on fifteen acres of John Wittbecker’s land and on one and a half acres of Franz and Rosine Stanzel’s land. All these parties gave one-half of their lands to the Southern Pacific Railroad Company as an inducement to locate the town thereon. Schulenburg was built in 1873. A great many High Hill people moved to Schulenburg on the arrival of the southern Pacific and built up the latter place. The city grew rapidly; May 24, 1875, it was incorporated.