Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

O'Quinn, Texas

History

O'Quinn History 1902. The O'Quinn settlement is situated seven miles southwest of La Grange on the La Grange-Flatonia road on O'Quinn's Creek. South of O'Quinn is the rich Navidad Prairie, north of it the sandy postoak of Buckner's Creek mixed with loam. The Buckner's Creek bottom lands are very fertile. It was settled mostly by Germans as early as 1850. Among the first families who settled there were the Sellers, Luck, Sample, Duellberg, Melcher, Bruns and John Voigt families. The settlement was named after an Indian chief by the name of O'Quinn; another version is that it was named after an Irishman by that name. O'Quinn is a postoffice, but not a voting place. The people mostly vote at Black Jack Springs. O'Quinn has two stores—one conducted by Mr. J. C. Melcher, the other one by Mr. T. A. Dieckert, both popular gentlemen—a gin and a blacksmith shop. It has two lodges, the Knights of Honor and the Fraternal Mystic Circle.  - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902

Location

29° 49' 18.84" N, 96° 58' 22.944" W