Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Nechanitz, Texas

History

Nechanitz History 1902.  Nechanitz lies eleven miles north of La Grange and nine miles south of Ledbetter, on the La Grange-Ledbetter road in Long Prairie. This prairie extends to Waldeck and is fertile land. Nechanitz is a voting precinct and a post office. It was named after Nechanitz, Bohemia, the home of Hon. Wenzel Matejowski, one of the oldest and most reliable merchants in the county. He owns the store and gin at Nechanitz. The post office was established in 1873. The population is now German. Old settlers: Wenzel Matejowski, Recklefs Meiners, Frank Ahlhorn, Julius Weisshuhn, Anton Weber, Chas. Oeser, William Peters, John Marquardt, Christian Marquardt and others. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902

Location

30° 2' 44.988" N, 96° 49' 36.984" W