La Grange History 1902
B. White, Wm. Hermes, jr., and J. Meyenberg, jr., are engaged in the drug business and share the patronage of La Grange and neighborhood with each other.
Drs. T. W. Moore and R. A. McKinney have a large practice and are known for their liberal rates. They do not cure a man first to kill him with their bills for medical attendance afterward.
Dr. Jno. Baur, an erstwhile pupil of the writer, is a consciencious young man, engaged in the practice of dentistry.
Louis Rice is engaged in photography and turns out first-class pictures.
La Grange is well protected against fire. As stated before, it has a good waterworks system. A volunteer fire company does efficient service in case of fire.
While La Grange has not increased very rapidly in population, it has been on a constant, steady growth. While in 1836 there were only two storehouses en the public square, in 1850 it was large enough to be incorporated. During the last decade its population increased thirty-five percent. In 1890 it had according to the U. S. census 1800 inhabitants, now their number is 2400. The increase of its business kept pace with the increase of its population.
During the last few years the farmers around La Grange made only little more than half of the usual crop on account of the boll weevil plague, This was a great drawback to the business of La Grange. There also being a large number of prosperous, thriving villages in the immediate vicinity of La Grange, doing a general merchandise business and thereby curtailing that of La Grange, it may be said that for its present population and its tributary country, the mercantile business is overdone in La Grange. La Grange is favorably situated for the manufacturing business. If it shall not remain at a standstill, it must engage in these pursuits. Lately, the establishment of a cotton factory has been much talked about. It should be the time now to start this enterprise, before Texas is overcrowded with establishments of this kind. The conditions for a market of the manufactures may then be less favorable than now. The market may then be overcrowded.
La Grange was built about the year 1828 on land belonging to Jno. H. Moore. In 1838 it had only very few stores. In that year the location of the future capital of the Republic of Texas was considered by congress; La Grange was a competitor for obtaining the seat; the bill making it the capital of Texas carried in congress, but was vetoed by President Houston. In 1850 La Grange was incorporated. In 1860 the Grand Lodge of Free Masons held its session in La Grange. In 1862 the sale of spirituous liquors was stopped in La Grange by order of the Provost Marshall In 1867 a yellow fever epidemic broke out in La Grange. In 1869 and 1870 the Colorado River overflowed considerable portions of the city. In 1900 another overflow of the Colorado inundated portions of La Grange. The picture of the street going west towards the river from Mohrhusen’s (formerly Wm. Haase’s corner) gives an idea as to how far the water went. In 1901 the Grand Lodge of the Order of the Sons of Hermann held its sessions in La Grange. The oldest building in La Grange stands on the northwest corner of the public square. It is a two story building, known as the Fink building and built in 1840.
The following gentlemen constitute the present city government: Robert Sample, mayor; Will Loessin, marshal; Ed. Mattingly, treasurer; Frank Rosenthal; secretary; E. H. Moss, attorney.
Aldermen of the first ward, B. L. Zapp and Wm. McKinney; second ward, L. Rosenthal and Gus Werth; third ward, Chas. Helmcamp and Lothar Rose; and fourth ward, F. H. Wagner and J. M. Byrnes.
Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902, Pages 323-340