High Hill, Texas
High Hill History 1902. Before the arrival of the Southern Pacific into Schulenburg, High Hill was quite an important place. At that time it consisted of six stores—some of them made of self-made brick—and three blacksmith and wheelwright shops. It was built in two different localities at a little distance apart. The upper part of the town had the name of Oldenburg, but now the name of High Hill stands for the whole place.
High Hill is situated about three miles north of Schulenburg on top of a hill and its buildings and the tall steeple of its fine Catholic Church building can be seen in clear weather from Schulenburg. It is built on the E. Anderson league. West Navidad and Forster's Creek are in its neighborhood.
High Hill is a postoffice and a voting precinct of the county. It has a fine Catholic Church which was built in 1870 and of which Rev. Father H. Gerlach is the priest.
Theo. Helmcamp is the proprietor of a first-class saloon and also of a fine hall where the people of High Hill gather for amusement and entertainment. John Wick is the postmaster and merchant of that place. There is also a gin and blacksmith shop at High Hill.
High Hill is an old place. The oldest settlers of that place were Eckert, Hermann Bauch, the Fahrenthold and Eschenberg families, F. G. Seydler, — Perkins, — Green, — Adamek. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902