Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Fayetteville History 1902

One of the gala days of the Catholic Church and of Fay­etteville is Corpus Christi Day. A long procession led by the Catholic priest starts in the morning from the Catholic church, walks around the square and stops at .each corner to hold ser­vices. Very often thousands come to Fayetteville from far and wide to witness this impressive ceremony. The reader finds a picture of this attractive scene.

Fayetteville has two schools, the Chromcik school and the Germania school. The Chromcik school was founded by Father Chromcik and named after him. It is under the management of Mrs. Wm. Langlotz. The Germania school has been for a number of years under the able management of Prof. Wm. Eilers, a teacher of great reputation; this year it will be taught by Prof. John L. Stierling, former superintendent of the Shiner schools. The school is taught in the building of the Germania Verein, a large two story frame building.

The business of Fayetteville is mostly merchandising. The city consists of 4 general merchandise stores, 5 groceries, 2 dry goods and notions stores, 4 full saloons, 5 beer saloons, 2 black­smith and wheelwright shops, 2 furniture and hardware stores, 1 tin and hardware store, 1 saddler, 2 gins, 2 beef markets, 2 beer agencies, 1 livery stable, 2 hotels, 12 drug stores, 5 physi­cians, 1 lawyer, and 1 lumber yard. Among the businessmen of Fayetteville the writer especially mentions H. W. H. Zapp, the owner of the oldest and largest mercantile establishment in Fayetteville; Dr. C. J. Schramm, a physician of fine learning and widespread reputation and proprietor of the leading drug store in Fayetteville; August Heinsohn, the proprietor of an immense lumber yard, the largest in Fayette County; Otto A. Vetter, the jovial proprietor of a saddlery ; F. Kallus, merchant tailor, equal in skill and workmanship to the best in any city; C. J. Klimicek, F. J. Piwetz and Kubena & Co. are successful business men, they are in the saloon and grocery business.

Fayetteville is an energetic town and makes laudable efforts to get out of the ruts. In 1901 a creamery was built in Fay­ etteville, the same is at present not in operation. People as is always the case have to pay for their experience in business which they do not know. But there is no reason why a creamery under proper management should not prove a success.

Fayetteville is a hustling town. In 1882 it was incorpo­rated for the purpose of improving the town. Hon. Max Meitzen was the first mayor of the town. In October 1887, the Taylor, Bastrop and Houston railroad—which later on was bought by the Missouri, Kansas & Texas---came into the city, and since then Fayetteville has been in a steady and healthy growth. There is now quite a difference between the city of Fayetteville of to-day—a thriving railroad station of the M., K. & T.—and the sleepy country town of seventeen years ago. The reader will find a picture of Fayetteville seventeen years ago and make the comparison. In 1893 four business houses burned down and elegant, substantial buildings were erected in their stead.

Fayetteville is well protected against fire. A well and windmill and a large water tank have been erected on the public square. Mains have been laid over the largest portion of the town with hydrants at convenient distances. A volunteer fire company under command of Captain Henry Steves is prepared to do efficient service in case of fire.

Continued

Location

29° 54' 20.808" N, 96° 40' 21.9" W