Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Fayetteville History 1902

Fayetteville History Written in 1902

Fayetteville. Located on the eastern edge of the rich and fertile Ross Prairie, lies one of the most beautiful little cities of South Texas, the City of Fayetteville. All around Fayetteville lie fertile prairie lands; one mile east of it, postoak begins, about three miles west of it, the timber lands of Cumming’s Creek limit the prairie. The substantial farms, the beautiful gardens and the fruit-bearing fields speak of the industry and the wealth of the population and are the delight of the traveler. Fayetteville is situated about twelve miles east of La Grange on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad. Occupying the slopes of a hill, it is of picturesque appearance. In the middle of the large public square stands the court house, which was erected there by the county to serve as the justice’s court house. Of the more no­ticeable buildings may be mentioned the Chromcik school, the Germania school, the Catholic church, the Presbyterian church and the Zapp building, the latter a handsome brick building at the northwest side of the public square.

Fayetteville is a very old place. It used to be called in the early times Sam Alexander’s, thus named after the first settler in that country who had come there during the early days of the republic. In the year 1847 it was laid out by P. J. Shaver who owned the land on which it is now situated as a town. The population of the town and surrounding country was at that time mostly American and German, but in the early fifties a large number of Bohemians commenced to come in. The Bohemian element is now in the majority, or, at least, the numerically strongest. The first settlers of Fayetteville were: S.S. Munger, Panchard, Dr. Gregory, Wm. Wade, Dr. Manly, Jno. Flum, Henry Kurtz and Ad. Kauffmann. The oldest settlers now living in Fayetteville are Hugo Zapp, C. Langlotz, J. M. T. Webb, Hon. Max Meitzen, H. Steves and Ed. Sarrazin.

The people of Fayetteville are a free and open hearted people. They are known throughout the county as a jolly set, and are therefore accordingly popular. The entertainments, balls and festivities which the people of this city arrange have become famous throughout South Texas. The easy manners, the cordiality with which a visitor is received by these generous people are not the least attraction which these festivities offer. The Fayetteville music band furnishes delightful music and has come out victor in more than one band contest. The Fayetteville Saengerbuud under the leadership of Prof. J. Hansen has repeatedly received recognition and applause at state “saenger­feasts.” A club that deserves favorable mention for the balls and entertainments it arranges is the Germania Verein with Hon. Max Meitzen as president and Mr. H. W. H. Zapp as secretary. The Verein owns a fine large two story building which also serves as a school-house.

Fayetteville has quite a number of lodges which to the mystically inclined offer chances to be initiated in lodge secrets and degrees and to ride the goat. They are: the Woodmen, A.T. Thanheiser, C. C., Henry Hotmann, clerk; Knights of Pythias, John R. Kubena, C. C., Dr. C. J. Schramm, K. of R. & S.; Masons, Henry Gloeckner, W. M., William Eilers, sec­retary ; Knights of Honor, Max Meitzen, president, William Eilers, secretary; Hermann Sons, Julius Hansen, president, Adolf Zoll, secretary; S. P. J. S. T. (a Bohemian organization), Torn Hruska, president, John Slavik, secretary.

Of the religious side of life two churches, the Catholic with Rev, Father J. Chromcik, and the Presbyterian with Rev. Wen­zel Pazdral take care. There are a great many Bohemian Catho­lic Societies under the auspices of the Catholic Church. They have associated themselves to promulgate the teachings of that church and to serve in the interest of humanity and religion. Their names are: St. Joseph’s, Father J. Chromcik, president, Valentine Michalsky, secretary, Frank Machala, corresponding secretary ; St. John’s, Aug. Pavel, president, Rohdan Kallus, secretary ; Bohemian Catholic Workmen Society (Benevolent Association), Rohdan Kallus, president. Ignaz Rek, secretary Bohemian Catholic Young Meii’s Society (Stanislaus), Joseph Siansky, president, Louis W. Machala, secretary ; Altar Society,  Mary Wichita, president, Mrs. Agnes Kubena, secretary.

Continued

Location

29° 54' 20.808" N, 96° 40' 21.9" W