Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Cedar, Texas

Cedar was on Farm Road 609 five miles southwest of La Grange in Fayette County.

History

Cedar was originally settled before 1836 by Anglo-American colonists and incorporated into Fayette County by an act of the Republic of Texas on May 5, 1838. John Lewis was appointed justice of the peace. The community's name came from the many cedar trees in the area. During the late 1840s and 1850s a wave of German immigrants replaced most of the earlier settlers. A post office was established at the community in 1859, and a small cluster of businesses developed to meet the needs of the new settlers. Since there were many similar small communities in the vicinity, Cedar never grew much beyond a store, a saloon, a post office, a physician's office, and a large community hall. The cotton grown by local farmers was ginned at nearby Bluff, where residents also voted. Civic activities moved to nearby O'Quinn, and the local post office was discontinued in 1904. Cedar's store and saloon closed soon after, and in the 1980s only the cemetery remained to identify the site. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Cedar History 1902. About five miles west of La Grange lies the Cedar settlement. It lies on the La Grange-Flatonia road on the north edge of the fertile Navidad Prairie. The name of Cedar was given to the settlement on account of the many cedars planted in its neighborhood. In old times, it used to be a very popular resort for amusement and it was known as such throughout the county. The land around Cedar is very fertile. The first settlers in the Cedar district were Bill Lewis, John Lewis, Merrill, Dr. Denker, Franke and Allen. They settled there in the forties. Cedar consists of a store, saloon and postoffice combined, also of one large hail. It has a physician. It is not a voting place, but is a post-office. The people vote at the Bluff box. The Cedar Mannerchor which holds its meetings at O'Quinn takes care of the social side of life. Cedar also has a lodge of the Sons of Hermann. The population of Cedar is mostly German. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902

Location

29° 51' 27.8172" N, 96° 55' 56.9352" W