Bluff History 1902. Opposite La Grange, across the Colorado River and south of Buckner's Creek, begins the Bluff settlement, extending as far as Williams' Creek. The bottom lands of Buckner's Creek and Williams' Creek, the blackland liveoak sections in the western part of the settlement and the blackland portions of the Navidad Prairie are very fertile. It contains also a great many gravel hills, covered with postoak. Of these latter lands only the better portions are used for fields, the balance remains as pasture land. The Bluff is the most picturesque section of the county; in fact, there is found no where in Southern Texas more beautiful scenery. First, there is the road leading up to the Bluff between hills and valleys, nicely graded and graveled. This excellent piece of road work was the first road work done in Fayette County; it was done under Judge A. Haidusek's administration and still remains a model piece of road work. If the traveler, after reaching the summit, takes the first road to the left, it leads him to Kreische's Bluff. From this place the best view of the city of La Grange may be had. Precipitately the bluff falls about two hundred feet. Its foot rests on the river bottom surrounded by trees that vainly try to reach its summit.
On top of the Bluff is the vault that holds the bones of the Dawson men and the Mier prisoners who died for their country in expeditions against Mexico. Here is also the beautiful pavilion of the Bluff shooting club, and the residence of Mr. Kreische, a solid two story brick building. A fine building that at present is not used is the brewery built by Mr. H.L. Kreische, three stories high, built of rock and picturesquely situated. In earlier times it was a popular resort of the La Grange people and perhaps in time it may be so again. If the traveler descends the sloping sides of the Bluff and walks along its base, he finds huge rocks that have solved themselves from the Bluff and fallen down. To notice their shapes and how they are piled upon each other is quite a pastime. On some of these rocks a little dirt and the seeds of trees have gathered, and good size trees have grown on them, their roots having split the rocks. There are a great many springs on the Bluff with the choicest water.
The Bluff settlement is one of the oldest settlements in the county. It was settled in the thirties and named after the bluff. A great many of the old settlers are Germans who left their country on account of the revolution in Germany of 1848. They were a highly educated, intelligent class of immigrants, friends of liberty and democrats at heart. A superior class of immigrants has never reached the shores of this land from any European country. Among the oldest settlers are the Huebner Willrich, Richers, Helmeamp, Kreische, Otto, Tell, Hausmann, Kraemer, H. Loehr, Wildner and Hinke families. The population is German with a sprinkling of Bohemians and Americans.
Two clubs which own fine halls take care of the social side of life, the Bluff Shooting Club at the Bluff pavilion and the Teutonia Club at the Teutonia hall.
Bluff is a voting box of the county and a post office. It has two stores, a blacksmith shop and a gin.. The reader will find Mr. Joseph Hausmann, the proprietor of a store, a fine blacksmith shop and a first-class gin, a very accommodating gentleman. - Fayette County, Her History and Her People, Schulenburg, Texas, 1902