El Paso History 1922
El Paso is the home of extensive manufactories, having the largest commercial smelter in North America, the immense planing mills and box factories of the Pearson Milling Company's great iron foundries and cement works, and innumerable lesser industrial plants. The city is the financial, commercial, recreational, educational and religious center of an area as large as Texas.
All of the leading religious denominations have flourishing congregations, filling handsome houses of worship, and several denominations maintain commodious hospitals and sanatoriums. The Baptist Sanatorium, now in course of construction, will represent a construction cost of $1,000,000, and is expected to be the largest denominational institution of that character in the United States. In 1914 the city became the seat of the Catholic bishopric, the Right Reverend Anthony J. Schuler being consecrated as the first bishop.
El Paso established the first free public kindergarten in Texas. Its public school system has kept pace with the best progress of the state, and its high school has few superiors. In addition to the public school system there are a number of denominational and secular training schools for the training of both sexes. The State School of Mines, a flourishing branch of the State University, is located at El Paso.
The El Paso Public Library houses the most important collection of government publications to be found in the Southwest, and through the comprehensive system of co-operation with Eastern Libraries undertakes to supply all of the needs of serious students in any field.
The Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway, the Texas & Pacific Railway, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway, the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, the El Paso & Southwestern Railway, the Mexican Central Railway and the Northwestern Railway of Mexico radiate from the city in all directions.
In company with the fertile, irrigated valleys surrounding it, the city has shared the benefits of the immense government irrigation reservoir at Elephant Butte. Having its inception, like so many other Western towns, under the shadow of Fort Bliss, its progress as a military center has kept pace with its other development. In 1915 it witnessed, in the mobilization of 50,000 troops of the National Guard, the largest concentration of troops which the United States had effected in a generation, and today the vast military depots at Fort Bliss can completely equip for field service two divisions of the American army.
El Paso equipped and sent to the world war three companies of infantry, which saw service in France—Companies A and B of the First Texas Infantry, and Company K of the Fourth Texas Infantry. In all, more than 4,000 men from El Paso were enlisted in the army, navy and marine corps during the World War.
- History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.